Translations for you non-English speakers

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 5: Grand Canyon and Page

Today we visited the Grand Canyon National Park!

Soooooo many Asians.. You could change the name from Grand Canyon to New China and there would be no difference..
It was fun though that almost nothing was fenced and you could go the edge, and even climb down some ledges to get to slightly more dangerous (but fun and adventerous!) places. Unfortunately Chris is afraid of heights so he couldn't join me on the climb down and sit on the edge so I had to have someone else take some of the pictures but it was a lot of fun. The pictures really don't do it credit, it's something you have to see for yourself. The depth, the distance to the North Rim, the views... It's very amazing!

It's nice to see that the animals can all free roam as well.. Deer on the road and parking lot, squirrels all over the place and more,..

I'll put some pictures here but it won't be as good as the real thing.

Wild animals!

What a view! This is from around Mather Point if I remember right




These next two are my favorite shots. Almost nobody dared follow me climbing down but thankfully one person was brave enough to join me and take my picture. I'm literally sitting on the edge, if I'd scoot back a little bit more I'd fall off. I admit, it was a bit dangerous, but so much fun.. Everyone was watching and pointing from higher up near the actual path :-)


Looking straight down over the edge a bit further along the Rim Trail

Sitting on an edge again, with no one around of course.. Bunch of wussies. I wanted to climb down to a more fun place again but Christophe kept shaking his head that he wouldn't follow me to take a picture and this time no one else wanted to either. Spoilsports...


After thunder started booming around the Canyon we decided to continue on to Page. After we left the lush greens of Flagstaff and around the South Rim of the Grand Canyon we entered desert again. And I keep seeing small gatherings of people living in the middle of nowhere! How can you live in places like that! Just a few run down, dilapidated homes (be it houses or trailers) with no one or nothing around for tens of miles if not more.. No neighbours, no stores, no nothing..

Anyway, after another boring drive through desert terrain (I really don't like having nothing to see. I can do it for a while, but after that while it gets so boring that driving gets such a chore.. And Christophe isn't allowed to drive, so it's even more tiring that I have to do all the driving; but I'll have to bear).. So we arrived at at Page. Lovely town (though so far; I actually like Flagstaff the best) and the view... The view! Have a look at what kind of view we had tonight when having dinner at the local steakhouse.

It's pretty hard to see but the view stretches out to the mountains and all the way to Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon Dam and more.. It was a wonderful view..



3 comments:

  1. So you are one of those nutbags that goes all the way out to the edge. I probably coulda guessed that, Chris get's +1'd for common sense:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asia is 4 times the size of europe, why call it new china???? Were they all chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated the road north of the canyon too... very dull. Those people live like that by choice or need. Sometimes its just living where they grew up. A lot of squalor there. Soon, your journey will be lush and green again :)

    ReplyDelete